As schools and municipalities strive to create safer environments for their students, employees, and communities, addressing all potential safety hazards is imperative. While many may focus on securing doors and adding surveillance cameras, one area often overlooked is the safety of large fence gates. These gates serve as a barrier between public areas and school or municipal property, but without proper precautions in place, they can pose serious risks. Gate safety is crucial in maintaining a secure environment, from accidental death to unauthorized entry. In this blog post, we will discuss how we are helping schools and municipalities ensure their gates’ safety for everyone’s benefit.
Gate Safety In Public Areas
Here at A to Z Quality Fencing, we are a fence company known for our commitment to quality and safety and are joining an initiative to improve the safety of large gates at schools and municipalities following an industry-wide conference. Company owners Aaron and Renee Smith announced their initiative this week.
The initiative emerged from the Tony Thorton Fence Business Conference in Oklahoma, where the Smiths attended the Gate Safety Summit. The summit highlighted numerous hazards posed by large gates, which have resulted in severe injuries and even fatalities among children.
Our plan involves comprehensive education for the communities we serve, our consumers, and our installers, emphasizing the importance of safety standards.
We are offering free consultations to schools, churches, and other institutions with large gates as part of the initiative. We’ll conduct thorough inspections for potential hazards and provide recommendations to mitigate or eliminate risks.
Read on to learn how our vigilant efforts will prevent tragedies and guarantee that safety standards are implemented.
Potential Dangers and Consequences of Unsafe Gates
Gate safety is crucial to preventing accidents and liability issues. The potential dangers and consequences of unsafe gates cannot be ignored. Tragically, just last month, a nine-year-old child lost their life due to a falling gate. Unfortunately, this isn’t an isolated incident, as shown by the Hummingbird Alliance, a non-profit group founded by parents who lost a child to a similar tragedy.
These devastating incidents highlight the urgent need for proper gate safety measures. All of these types of deaths and injuries are preventable if we work together to prevent such accidents from happening again.
Regulations and Codes that Govern Gate Safety
Most schools, municipalities, fence installers, and fence companies don’t understand the safety standards already in place. Our plan involves comprehensive education for our community, consumers, and installers, emphasizing the importance of safety standards like UL325 and ASTM standard F2200.
- UL 325 is a comprehensive safety standard that governs the operation of electrically powered doors, gates, draperies, louvers, and windows used in residential, commercial, and industrial settings. The standard primarily aims to minimize the risk of injuries or entrapment by mandating specific safety features. For example, it requires the installation of sensors that can detect obstructions and subsequently halt or reverse the motion of a door or gate. By implementing such measures, UL 325 is crucial in preventing accidents, such as individuals getting trapped under a closing gate.
- ASTM F2200 is a safety standard developed by the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM). This standard applies to the manufacturing and installation of automated gates, providing multiple methods for evaluating different classes of these gates. The standard provides gate designers, manufacturers, and installers with specific requirements for building and installing these gates to ensure safety and functionality.
With our knowledgeable approach, we are helping to ensure that gate safety is taken seriously. Regulations and codes are in place for a reason so don’t take shortcuts when it comes to gate safety – trust the fenceperts who understand the regulations and codes that keep everyone safe.
Different Types of Gates
As an expert in gate safety, it’s essential to know the types of gates commonly used in schools and municipalities. Swing, sliding, and barrier arm gates have different pros and cons, but safety is paramount.
Swing gates are easy to operate and maintain but may not be suitable for areas with limited space.
Sliding gates are ideal for narrow entrance areas but require more maintenance than swing gates.
While barrier arm gates are excellent for directing traffic flow, they may not be as secure as swing or sliding gates.
It’s important to understand the advantages and disadvantages of each gate type when deciding which one to install and maintain, prioritizing safety in the decision-making process.
Gate safety is paramount in schools and other municipally owned properties. Without proper maintenance checks, these areas are at risk for accidents and potential lawsuits. By implementing regular checks and inspections, potential hazards can be identified and addressed before an incident occurs.
As an expert in gate safety, we utilize a detailed checklist covering all fence gate maintenance aspects. Regular safety checks increase safety for students and the public and show a proactive approach to ensuring their well-being.
In addition, our checklists go through every single scenario that could happen. We will inform you what we can do to minimize risk and, most of the time, eliminate it.
Don’t wait until an accident happens – take action now to prioritize gate safety in your school or municipality.
Benefits of Getting a Free Gate Safety Evaluation
A free gate safety evaluation from a professional fence company (and gate manufacturer/supplier) has numerous benefits:
- It ensures that your gates are up to code and functioning safely.
- It demonstrates a proactive approach towards preventing accidents and liability issues by identifying potential issues before they become major problems.
- Professional companies have in-depth knowledge of regulations and industry standards, allowing them to identify potential hazards and take necessary measures to mitigate them.
- You can trust any necessary repairs or replacements can be promptly addressed to avoid any lapse in safety measures, giving you peace of mind and avoiding any potential legal repercussions.
- Additionally, a free gate safety evaluation from a professional company is cost-effective.
The Next Step
As we conclude this educational post on gate safety in public areas, it’s important to remember the crucial role that well-maintained and secure gates play in ensuring the safety of our children and other community members.
We have discussed the potential dangers and consequences of unsafe gates and the regulations and codes governing gate safety. Schools and municipalities must prioritize gate safety to avoid accidents and potential liability issues.
Regardless of the type of gate, we recommend inspection by a professional fence company with expertise in gate safety. By regularly inspecting and addressing any necessary repairs, we can prevent any potential hazards from arising.
Ultimately, investing in safe and secure gates shows a commitment to the well-being of community members.
So don’t wait any longer – schedule a free gate safety evaluation today! Contact one of our showroom locations and let’s work together to make our schools and public spaces safer.